IPL / ResurFX™ by Lumenis®
At Complexion Med Spa
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
Complexion Med Spa offers state-of-the-art technology with our Lumenis® Stellar M22 operating system. Lumenis® developed and patented IPL technology first used for cosmetic purposes, and remains a leader in the industry. Our certified state-licensed estheticians along with our board-certified registered nurses, performs all the IPL/laser treatments in our facility and have extensive backgrounds working with IPL and cosmetic laser technology.
Developed by the pioneers of aesthetic medicine, the Lumenis® Stellar M22 IPL treatment eliminates freckles; vascular or pigmented birthmarks; rosacea (redness of the skin); broken capillaries; telangiectasias (abnormal pigmentation of the skin) telangiectasias; and we have even had success with treating vascular lesions resulting from cancer-related radiation treatments! The FDA cleared Lumenis® energy based light treatment works with your skin to remove these imperfections over a series of treatments, while stimulating collagen and elastin fiber production.
There are damaging effects of aging, the sun’s UV rays, and environmental factors such as pollution and free radicals which can result in hyperpigmented age spots, sunspots, and broken blood vessels. Unlock your skin’s potential with the our Lumenis® Stellar M22 Intense Pulsed Light Photo Facial. This customizable energy-based light treatment brings your skin back to a healthier, younger-looking, even tone with minimal to no downtime or discomfort.
/ How Does It Work?
What type of skin problems can be treated with IPL?
WHICH AREAS CAN BE TREATED WITH IPL?
WHAT CAN I EXPECT DURING AND AFTER TREATMENT?
WHAT WILL I FEEL DURING AND AFTER TREATMENT?
To ensure your utmost comfort, our technician will apply cold coupling gel on the treatment area. You may experience a warm sensation as the light is applied to the skin, but the treatment is gentle and should not feel too uncomfortable.
Immediately following treatment, you may experience some redness, depending on your customized treatment settings. The redness will usually disappear within a few hours.
In most cases, makeup may be applied, and daily activities can be resumed within 24 hours. You should avoid direct sun for a few days following treatment and always apply a sunblock.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR AN IPL TREATMENT?
HOW MANY TREATMENTS DO I NEED?
Typically, a series of 3-6 treatments which can be done 2-4 weeks apart is recommended to achieve optimal results. IPL photo-facials can truly create a marked difference in the patient’s skin over time, since the skin continues to improve for weeks after the actual IPL treatment.
- Be gentle to treated area. Do not scratch or pick at your skin.
- Freckles and sunspots may turn slightly darker (pigment granules) initially and then flake off within 7-10 days for facial areas and 14 – 21 days for body areas. This is a desired and normal reaction.
- Until the “pigment granules” have completely subsided, avoid all of the following:
- Use of scented lotions or soaps, exfoliant creams (Retin-A, glycolic/salicylic and alpha- hydroxy acids), acne creams or gels, loofa sponges and aggressive scrubbing
- Excessively hot or cold water – wash with tepid water
- Swimming pools and spas with multiple chemicals/chlorine
- Skin may appear red, swollen and have a mild sunburn sensation. This is a normal reaction. It can last from a few hours to a few days after treatment. Applying an ice pack off and on for the first 24 hours will help minimize swelling. NOTE: Never apply ice directly to the skin. Apply through a cloth.
- For minimum of 48 hours, avoid activities that cause flushing or excessive perspiration, including exercise, hot temperatures, consumption of alcohol or spicy foods, saunas, etc.
- A cold compress can be used to provide comfort if the treated area is especially warm. This is typically only needed within the first 12 hours after the treatment.
- Hydrocortisone cream can also be applied to provide comfort if the treated area becomes itchy.
- Vitamin E or Aloe Vera applied to the treatment area may provide a soothing effect. Post treatment discomfort is typically minimal but if the area is very uncomfortable, oral pain relievers (Tylenol or Advil) may be used.
- There may be redness and slight swelling around the treated vessels. Often, they appear lighter in appearance and are less defined.
- Makeup may be applied immediately after the treatment, as long as skin integrity has not been compromised.
- In the unusual case of crusting of the skin in the treated area, apply an antibiotic ointment twice a day to the affected areas. Do not pick at these areas, as this may result in infection or scarring.
- If the skin is broken or a blister appears, apply an antibiotic ointment and contact your Ideal Image clinic immediately.
- Keep the affected area moist and avoid direct sunlight.
- Strictly avoid any sun exposure to the treated area for a minimum of 7-14 days after the procedure. The treated area is more prone to sunburn and pigmentation change. Keep the area covered and use a sun block with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide and reapply every 2 hours. Delayed blistering secondary to sun exposure has been noted up to 72 hours post treatment.
- If in the middle of a series of IPL Photo-facial treatments, sun exposure should be avoided between treatments and a sunblock should be used on a daily basis.
- Subsequent treatments are based upon your Medical Professional’s recommendation and are typically 4 weeks apart.
/ Your Transformative Journey Awaits
If you’re interested in learning more about our IPL Photo-facial treatments, we are inviting you to schedule a free consultation with us. Call 248-737-6912 or stop by our facility. We look forward to servicing you and remember, it’s all about your Complexion!